1. All candidates must first have a Federal Express Entry profile
a. Candidates applying for the AATP must fill out an online form and send their Express Entry profile information, as well as their Alberta employment and/or job offer with an Alberta tech employer to the AAIP
b. General Express Entry candidates must receive a Notification of Interest (NOI) letter in their Federal Express Entry profile. A copy of the NOI must be emailed to the AAIP (firstname.lastname@example.org) within 2 weeks along with a statement of interest to apply.
2. Candidates submit an application if they meet the assessment criteria for either the General Express Entry, or for the
3. AATP Express Entry and will receive an additional 600 CRS points in the Federal Express Entry pool
4. All complete applications are placed into a pool of eligible applications for consideration for processing
Factors Increasing your Chances to Receive an invitation to Apply (ITA):
- Have a valid job offer and/or Albertan work experience;
- Are a graduate of a post-secondary institution in Alberta; or
- Having family relatives in Alberta
In addition to (i) and (ii) above, as of January 18, 2023, the AAIP added having relatives in the province such as a parent, child, brother or sister currently residing in Alberta who is a citizen or permanent residence will now meet added selection factor criteria. The province is of the opinion that
immediate family ties are critical to help new immigrants establish themselves in the province and settle successfully in Alberta.
Entrepreneurs Streams include:
- Rural Entrepreneur Stream – primarily for entrepreneurs who want to start a new business or buy an existing business in rural Alberta areas.
There are several eligibility criteria for rural communities, including:
- Rural Alberta communities must have populations of less than 100,000;
- Candidate must ensure that rural community is on the list of participating communities; if not, the community may still submit an interest to participate to their workforce consultant through a Community Enrollment Form
- Business Proposal and Exploratory Visit is required;
- Candidate must contact the rural community contact person (contact details listed in community profile) to discuss their business proposal and exploratory visit
- An “Exploratory Visit Report” will be required with the following:
- Name and contact details of the business service providers or settlement organizations you visited
- Description of the activity or meeting and its relation to the proposed business
- Copies of business cards collected
- Details of visits with current owners if you are buying an existing business
- Provide the complete Rural Entrepreneur Stream Business Proposal Summary to the community contact person
- Once Community Support Letter and endorsed Business Proposal Summary is received, candidate may submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to the AAIP
For further information on rural Alberta communities, view the Rural Entrepreneur Stream Community Guide.