Applicants who wish to immigrate to Quebec as a Skilled Worker must now submit an online Expression of Interest (“EOI”). The EOI will contain information about your education; work experience; current status in Quebec (you do not have to be physically in Quebec, but can also apply from overseas); family information; language skills in English and French; and job offer (not required, but adds points to your score). Candidates will be initially assessed and issued an
Invitation to Apply (“ITA”) for immigration to Quebec.
There are several steps that must take place between submitting your EOI and actually being approved to apply for permanent residence under the QSWP stream. These steps include an assessment, submission of several documents and selection criteria that you must meet before you can even apply for permanent residence. Applicants must score a 50 (if you are single) or 59 (if you are married) in order to receive a Certificat de sélection du Québec (commonly referred to as a “Quebec Selection Certificate” or “CSQ”) based on the following selection criteria:
- education (at least a vocational high school diploma or Quebec equivalent);
- training (based on Quebec’s “List of Areas of Training”);
- language proficiency in French and English (an evaluation test will be required);
- lawful work experience in the last 5 years prior to the date of application;
- employment offer (added points, but not required);
- number of stays in Quebec and family in Quebec;
- the accompanying spouse’s characteristics;
- dependent children under age 22 who are accompanying you; and
- settlement funds (must sign contract that you will be financially secure for a minimum of 3 months following your arrival).
Do you have additional questions? If so, click the button below.
Ask An Attorney