Post Graduate Work Permit

Students who graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary college or university can gain work experience in Canada through the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (“PGWPP”). The skills graduates gain from their work experience helps them qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class.

Employers who seek to hire open work permit graduates are exempt from the requirement to first obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (“LMIA”) from the Employment and Social Development Canada. Instead, open work permits issued to graduates are coded with the LMIA exception code (C43).

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, but only up to 3 years. Permits are not valid for longer than the student’s study program, which must be at least an 8-month program.

Contact our law firm to obtain a post-graduate work permit so you can work after your study in Canada.

Do you have additional questions? If so, click the button below.

Ask An Attorney 


Do not leave crucial decisions to chance. Allow an experienced Immigration Lawyer to skillfully guide you through the immigration process. If you have questions, we want to hear from you and answer your questions. Please submit your question below, and one of our legal professionals will respond to you soon.