IRCC Announces Temporary Public Policy for Accelerated Work Permits for Asylum Claimants
On November 16, 2022, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced a new temporary measure that will accelerate work permit issuance for asylum claimants in Canada. This temporary measure is expected to remain in effect for 18 months.
Under this temporary measure, prior to the in-person interview and referral to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB), a work permit will be issued for asylum claimants in Canada following their eligibility determination. This includes claims currently in the backlog and those submitted, going forward.
- provide their biometrics (by scheduled appointment or at the Port of Entry at the time you make your claim)
- complete and submit all required information and documents, through, for example:
- Canadian Refugee Protection Portal (CRPP), or the
- IRCC Asylum Portal or alternate means by request Request to submit your refugee claim on paper from inside Canada – Canada.ca.)
- complete an immigration medical exam with a panel physician designated by IRCC
Once the above noted criteria has been met and the refugee application has received a positive eligibility determination, the application for a work permit will automatically be generated. No additional information or forms are required for this accelerated measure.
What Remains the Same:
- IRCC will continue to issue an Acknowledgement of Claim document after receipt of a complete online application and supporting documentation. This document provides Interim Federal Health Program coverage.
- The ineligibility grounds remain the same but the eligibility decision on claims will be made prior to the Minister’s Delegate Review/interview/referral to the IRB.
- In order for the claim to be referred to the IRB and for the claimant to receive their Refugee Protection Claimant Document, they must attend a refugee claim interview with an officer in one of our refugee intake offices in Canada at a later date.
- The validity period of work permits continues to be two years from their issue date
How to Receive a Work Permit
The application for a work permit will automatically be generated, so long as:
- the above noted criteria have been met following an assessment of the refugee application.
- instructions are sent, including the Acknowledgment of Claim
- immigration medical examination with a panel physician is completed,
- biometrics captured
- work permit will be issued as soon as the immigration medical examination has been completed.
Once the work permit has been issued, it will be sent to the mailing address of the claimant. It is important that addresses are kept up to date. To change an address, please refer online or through our Web form.
This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact us via email at email@example.com for further information.