New Immigration Programs for Hong Kong Residents

On February 4, 2021, the Minister of Immigration and Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC), Marco Mendicino, announced several new programs that will benefit residents of Hong Kong.


Starting on February 8, 2021, Hong Kong residents will be able to apply for a new 3-year open work permit. To be eligible, Hong Kong residents must have graduated with a Canadian post-secondary diploma or degree in the last 5 years or, hold a Canadian equivalent foreign degree or diploma that is a minimum of 2 years in duration.

How to Apply

For Hong Kong residents who are currently in Canada temporarily, students and workers can apply online from within Canada. Unfortunately, if you are abroad, you may not be able to come to Canada right away, due to the travel restrictions, unless you have a job offer or meet a travel exemption and comply with all public health requirements.

New Pathways to Permanent Residency for Hong Kong Residents

In addition to open work permits, two pathways to permanent residence will be implemented for young Hong Kong residents. Details will be announced later this year. The first will be for Hong Kong residents with at least 1 year of work experience in Canada and who meet the language and education criteria. The second will be for Hong Kong residents who have graduated from a post-secondary institution in Canada. Once they graduate, they can apply directly for permanent residence.

Should you require additional information on this program, or the pathways, please send us an email at