With COVID-19, many individuals thinking of international study, have decided to put off their studies for a later date. This has caused a significant decrease in the number of international students coming to Canada.

Now, with the recent announcement from Immigration Refugees Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that starting Fall 2020, international students who have an acceptance from a designated learning institution, may complete 50% of their studies online, outside Canada (still eligible for post-graduate work permit), this is the ideal time to explore your chance to study in Canada.

Canada also has a program to fast-track study permits for legal residents from the following countries:

  • China
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • the Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Vietnam

If you are a legal resident of one of these countries, you may be eligible for faster processing of your study permit through the Student Direct Stream (SDS) program. You will not be eligible if you are a citizen, but not residing in the above countries.

In order to be eligible, you must meet the following criteria:

  • have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI)
  • live outside of Canada when you apply
  • have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study
  • have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate(GIC) of $10,000 CDN
  • have a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration
    • This is only if you’re planning to study in Quebec
  • get a medical exambefore you apply (if you need one)
  • get a police certificatebefore you apply (if you need one)
  • have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s)
  • have a language test result that shows:
    • a score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the IELTSor
    • a Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)

For further information regarding how to obtain a study permit, how to apply to a DLI, tuition fee payment, how to invest in a GIC, or whether you qualify for the SDS or Regular Study Permit Application process, please contact our office.