Extension of Interview Waiver for Certain Nonimmigrant Visa Applications
December 23, 2022
In an effort to facilitate nonimmigrant travel and reduce the wait times for nonimmigrant visas, the Department of State (DOS) announced an extension of the waiver of in-person interviews to certain nonimmigrants through to December 31, 2023.
The waivers will be authorized by a determination of the Secretary of State with the concurrence of the Department of Homeland Security on a case-by-case basis. It will include first-time and/or renewing applicants.
The categories included are the following:
- H-2 – Temporary Agricultural and Non-Agricultural Workers
- F and M visas – Students
- Academic J Visas – Academic Exchange Visitors
It also includes certain beneficiaries of approved individual petitions for nonimmigrant temporary worker visas, such as:
- H-1B – Specialty Occupations
- H-3 – Trainee or Special Education Visitors
- L visa – Intracompany Transferees
- visa – Extra-ordinary Ability or Achievement
- P visas – Athletes, Artists, and Entertainers
- Q visas – Participants in International Cultural Exchange Programs
And qualifying derivatives
Waivers of Interview have been successful in reducing wait times and embassies and consulates. The DOS reports that nearly half of the nonimmigrant visas issues in Fiscal Year 2022 were issued without an in-person interview.
Travelers renewing a nonimmigrant visa in the same visa category, within 48 months of their visa expiry date, and are applying in their country of residence, may be eligible to have their interview waived as well. This includes B1/B2 visas.
This alert is for informational purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact us via email at email@example.com for further information.